Mamma Lise’s Orange Cake:
This is a quick but really great cake – fantastic whilst it is still a little bit warm!
50g desiccated coconut
200g ordinary flour
2 tsp baking powder
100ml of liquid (juice/milk)
Glaze: Icing sugar (the powder stuff) A bit of juice from either a lemon or orange
- Cream the butter and sugar until it is soft and a bit fluffy (I put the butter in the microwave for 10 sec’s – makes it a bit easier)
- Add one egg at a time and work in well.
- Grate the peel off the orange into the mix and then juice the orange. You need about 100ml of liquid so if you don’t have sufficient orange juice from your orange then top it up with milk to 100ml.
- Add the juice/milk to the mix and stir well. Add the coconut and stir.
- Add the baking powder to the flour and add this to the mix. Work in well.
- Line a 24cm/6” cake tin with greaseproof paper and pour the mix into this. Bake for about 45 mins in the oven pre-heated to about 175 degrees.
Check baking time depending on your oven – maybe use the toothpick trick to see if it is done.
For the glaze
- When the cake is cool, just mix a good cup of icing sugar with a little of the orange/lemon juice (add juice little by little so it doesn’t get too runny. It should be a nice paste which is soft enough that you can drizzle it over the middle of the cake and then just “help” it spread a bit with a butter knife so it covers the whole top of the cake.
- Grate a bit of lemon or orange peel on top of the glaze – looks great and tastes even better!
Chocolate Brownie Cake:
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Serve warm with soft whipped cream and a little warm Orange sauce (Warm up some good orange marmalade with a dash of Cointreau)
175g Caster Sugar
75g Brown or Muscovado Sugar
125g chocolate (Plain of milk)
1 tbsp Golden Syrup
1 tsp vanilla essence/extract
100g Plain Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C
- Put the butter, sugar, brown sugar, chocolate and golden syrup in a pan and melt gently over a low heat until it is smooth and lump free.
- Take the pan off the heal and cool a little
- Break the eggs into a bowl add the vanilla essence and whisk to a bit of a froth.
- Add the eggs, essence ,flour, baking powder and cocoa powder to the chocolate mix and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a lined square cake tin and bake for about 25-30 mins
- Let it cool just a little and then serve as per above.
La Familia Coconut Bake:
This is pretty easy to do and it is super-yummie when still a bit warm – a really great companion to traditional Scones for a good old “Cream tea”
For the pastry: 200g butter, 75g sugar, 300g normal flour
Filling: A jar of Raspberry or Strawberry Jam
Coconut topping: 5 egg whites (do not whisk them), 250g sugar, 200g desiccated coconut.
Heat the oven to 175 degrees, make the pastry – it is easy-mix the sugar and the flour, pop in the butter cut into small cubes. Mix as though you were doing a crumble, gather it together, you might need a drop of water to get it to bind together properly. Chill for a little while and then roll it out to a big square, put this in a lined baking tray, about 30x40cm, press it out so it fills the whole baking tray and form a little edge around the sides. Stab the pastry with a fork all over and then put it in the oven to bake for about 15 mins or until it gets a slight golden colour. Take it out and leave to cool for a little while. Increase the heat in the oven to 200 degrees. Now make the Coconut topping by putting the un-whisked egg-white in a pan together with the sugar and coconut. Give it a good stir and then heat it on the stove whilst continually whisking until it thickens a bit and the sugar is dissolved. Don’t let it boil. Take off the heat and leave to cool a little whilst you spread the pastry with plenty of jam! Then pour the coconut topping over the pastry and jam and spread it out to cover the whole thing. Put it back in the oven until the coconut topping goes golden – about 10-15 mins. Take out and cool a little. Cut into squares and serve – see if you can stop at one piece – not possible!!